This is my very first outdoor shooting at night. The bridge near my house is just nice for me to practice my first ever night photography or some call “paint with light”.
You see the photo paint by vehicles light. Left lane with red light and right lane on white or yellow light. If you enlarge the photo (click on photo), the lamps have 14 star cross. Remember this is without special effect filter, just normal kit lens. The effect is cool!
How To Shoot Night Photography?
- Tripod is a must for night photography. Digieye TR-38 perform well during my night shoot. Don’t let wind blow away your DSLR at such high position.
- Another to concern is security of the spot. The path way to the bridge has no people during night time, and the staircase covered by huge tree. To be more secure, I bring along my dog for better security just in case. Or you can ask family or friend to accompany along.
- Remote control can help to reduce vibration on DSLR camera when expose long seconds. Or you can set self timer to 2 seconds and let it shoot without pressing.
- Turn to “S” (Shutter) mode. Reduce the shutter speed to at least 15 seconds. Try an error for different shutter speed. Look out ISO and Exposure. Don’t need increase too high since the shutter expose for long seconds or it over expose.
Did I left out anything, please suggest in comment. I’ll take it seriously to improve my photography skills.
- Must bring Tripod
- Consider security. Ask friend go together.
- Remote control (if possible)
- Reduce Shutter Speed (15 secs or more)